Saturday, January 14, 2012

2012 - the year of the little red pickup truck



In June of last year, I saved up enough dough for the little red pickup truck of my dreams - a 1996 Toyota Tacoma. I bought her, and I thought she really needed a name, so I named her Harriet Ethel Truck. She is so mighty fine. (See actual picture below.)



I had to say farewell to my faithful old 1996 Toyota Tercel - it was very hard to say goodbye. But, I have always - since childhood - dreamed about having a space of my own to sleep in that I could also drive around in. Plus, my packed Tercel typically looked like this: a mountain of gear stuffed into a tiny 2 door car with a small, cleared out area on the driver's side. Usually with a tripod whacking me in the back of my head whenever I stopped. Whenever it rained, I still had to put up my tent - there was no way to lay down in the car without unpacking it. The added space really makes quite a difference.

Here is a self portrait of me and the White Beast at the end of a rural farm road back in 2008. Not gonna lie, I still miss my little white car.



So here is what happens now: I am in the process of figuring out how to build out the back of my truck so I can sleep comfortably in it. I am meeting with a carpenter friend this week or next to discuss the details. I plan on building a little bed on the right side with shelves underneath, a little table to work on, and a small area to lash my darkroom in so it doesn't go bumping around. Here is my non-architectural and probably very idealistic drawing:



One of my goals for the year is to spend at least 3 months on the road shooting.

It's gonna happen.

Here is to 2012.

And here is a little song for you to tap your feet to.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good plan to me. Well, it is really a car owner’s pleasure to have ample space in their vehicles. You don’t have to worry about the extra luggage and you can always squeeze in more friends during the trip.[Kerstin Shed]

    ReplyDelete